Saturday, February 28, 2009

Side by Side Beauty Collage




Dear Diary,

I have posted a few pictures of some of the girls with their "Beauty within and the Beauty around us" collages. It was a fun 45 minutes! The girls had to finish theirs at home but they got a good start at the meeting. Ms. Schammel gave a riveting speech about inner beauty. She almost moved me to tears as only an elementary school councilor can with her zestful views on the subject. I did get to speak briefly before starting the girls on the project. I chose my words carefully so as not to scar any of them with the cold reality of the subject but at the last minute I just showed them my collage and told them how beautiful I feel when my dog Buddy greets me in the afternoon after school, and about how he loves me and loves to spend time with me and vise versa. Oh and the Spring, when the flowers start to bloom what a wonderous time that is.... and hobbies are so important. I believe they broaden your horizons, they get you out collecting or whatever where you can meet new people and have new experiences and our families the love that binds us together through good times and bad... Then, I paused reflectively and noticed that their eyes were glazing over so I quickly mumbled a conclusion and we started our project.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

These young faces are so full of pride. You obviously inspired them all. Kudos to you for reaching out to these girls!! What a wonderful project!!!

Leslie said...

I don't believe anyone's eyes could "glaze over" while YOU are talking to them! You've never been boring in your whole life!

The girls look like they had a lot of fun. I wish you'd come visit me and make collages.

Unknown said...

Oh the girls look so full of life and creativity! I truly miss spending time in school. I love the bright smiles the hugs and the happy hellos.

Life changes and we move on....

This just looks so wonderful. Thank you for sharing it with us.
XXX
Becky

eclectic archivist said...

Lisa the girls probably got more out of creating the collages than the pep talk the counselor gave! What a great experience for everybody involved.