Sunday, September 27, 2009

I'm going to Mississippi and I am going to take a .....


Dear Diary,

I leave Thursday morning for Mississippi! Momma says it will be in the low 80's. Sista Lucy says it will be in the low 70's. They both say bring a sweater. I bought a really cool mink sweater pin at the antique mall but I don't believe I'll pack it or a sweater. I'll be a rebel and buck authority. I haven't felt chilly in I don't remember when. It is still over 100 degrees here! A day hasn't gone by that I haven't sweated down my butt crack! It's not bad enough that I'm still going through menopause and have teenagers. We have record high temps too. Well enough of that.

Sista Lucy called me tonight. We are all getting excited about seeing each other. Sista Janice arrives Wednesday. I arrive Thursday and sista Sarah Ann is flying to Nashville and driving down with sista Lucy Thursday.

Sista Lucy asked me a question tonight that made me pause - "What are we going to do for entertainment?" Well, Thursday night we are having a catfish fry - that's always entertaining. Friday is the Big Birthday party for Daddy - He will be 82. We can play some party games. One sista suggested pin the hemorrhoid on the Daddy. I searched Martha Stewart's site and didn't see anything that looked more fun than that. We considered a talent contest. My cousin Lynne will be there from Birmingham, Alabama and she sings like a lark. She will have no serious competition so that will not be fun. Sista Janice usually plays "Don't tell Aunt Rhody" on the tonette, sista Sarah Ann can still fit in her tap costume she wore as a child (but that's not her talent, tapping is) and I would perform Elizabeth Taylor's dramatic monologue from Suddenly last Summer. Although sista Lucy is multi-talented she usually sits on the sidelines and makes fun of us all. I used to consider my talent - twirling the baton - but a couple of years ago when I participated in the 5th grade talent show my act was recorded. I no longer twirl in public.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

I hope I get to see you!! You sound like you're going to be way too busy to visit!!

TheresainMS said...

Hey, I'm not that far away and it sounds like your mom's house is gonna be loads more fun than my house this weekend haha!! Enjoy your visit and the cooler weather. It was so nice tonight; not hot at all. I LOVE this time of year!!!! Have a safe trip and enjoy every moment of it.

Esther said...

Hi Lisa, I think you'd better count on playing pin the prostate on the father instead. Sarah Ann gave me a wonderful stick doll with red hair and a wonderful dress that you made. Wondering...is she a voodoo doll? I've got someone in mind. Hope y'all yall have a good time w/family!

eclectic archivist said...

What...no panties on the head!

Michele said...

Have a wonderful trip!

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Oh how I'd love to have seen you all. You and your sistas sound like you know how to have one heck of a good time, sweaters or no sweaters. Hope you enjoyed every minute!